I am bereft. It has been 1 week since Kozmo disappeared. At first I did not want to admit the possibility that he was gone. We have searched hither and yon, up and down. though the bushes, along the river bank, under the rock piles and in the culverts. I guess I should back up a little bit. Thursday night, just before midnight, Kozmo screamed at me. He wanted out (for the 2nd time since I went to bed at 9:30PM).
Kozmo is an elderly cat. He was going deaf ...thus he yelled very VERY LOUDLY!
He had quite bad arthritis (particularly in the fall and winter because of the damp and cold) and he had thyroid disease and had to take meds twice a day. This year, he had a wonderful summer! He was out, about and (in the evenings, when it got cooler).
When I let him out shortly after midnight, I told him I would be back in 5 minutes. When I opened the door, there he was, and then he wasn't. He flipped his backend at me and ran off across the grass and into the ditch on the other side.
I let out a few HBO words, went back in and grabbed my book and went back to bed to read. 15 minutes later, I got up and checked to see if he was ready to come in...No Cat. 15 minutes later I did it again, still no Kozmo. Then again and again...And that time I fell asleep.
I woke up to the most incredible cat screams about 4:15! I ran to the door and saw a huge black shape flying across the river. (Because of the fires, a great horned owl had moved into our village.)
My heart lurched! I called and whistled but I got no response.
I did NOT fall back asleep. As soon as it got light I went out and started looking...
During the day, I talked to neighbors (and banged on doors, and searched people's yards). Signs went up, telephone chains went out and around the village. I then learned 4 other people were woken by the Owl. I also found out that the owl has taken at least 3 other village cats.
Alex got home on Sunday and he got all the little kids out looking for Kozmo (boy, kids are really good any getting into, under and around) and checked out the fields and with the village workers and the fire fighters Alex checked out the Public Works Yard across the river.
This week things have been quiet. I was hoping that Koz was hiding out somewhere, that he was frightened, stunned, perhaps hurt, people have been still checking their yards, the ditches when they walk and in and around anything that could hide a cat. But as the days went by, I kept hoping he was tucked away somewhere — hiding, recovering, waiting for the world to feel safe again. I held onto that hope because the alternative was too sharp to touch. But with everything we learned about the owl, and with every empty place we searched, it became harder to pretend he was simply out of sight.
Kozmo was old, proud, and fierce in his own way. He lived his life on his own terms — loud, stubborn, determined, and absolutely uninterested in being told what to do. And as the quiet settled over the village this week, I realized he likely left the world the same way he lived in it: choosing his own moment, his own way, his own path.
I can see him now — strutting his man‑cat strut across the Rainbow Bridge, tail high, yelling (very loudly) for the Lady Cat Love of his life… Katie Isabella.
Challenges in life don’t arise haphazardly, no matter how accidental or coincidental they may seem. They only arrive when you’re ready for transcending them.
We have received the most lovely Remembrances Photos!
First From Ann
& from Ingrid
Our home feels much quieter without Kozmo's clicking toenails and steady presence. Kozmo is survived by Jo Jo, Marvelous and the Hairy Slobbery Sister Nutmeg. His Peeps, Mom Barb and his human brother Alex are morning his rodent dispatching skills, his throaty purrs and how he loved to lie on your chest and nuzzle your chin. We also now have an empty spot on the couch that will take a long time to fill.











hugs to you... we cried while reading, but you found such wonderful words for your beloved Kozmo....
ReplyDeleteI too cried when I read this. My heart goes out to you as you don't have any real closure, and for the other families who also lost their cats.
ReplyDeleteSending a ton of hugs to you and Alex.
π₯° ❤️ π₯°
The tears are still falling. We are so sorry this happened. Huge hugs♥
ReplyDeleteDear Barb, I am so sad to read this. He was such a wonderful fellow. But maybe he did choose to leave you by this route. We must wish him a safe journey Over the Rainbow Bridge. Will be thinking about him and let us know if anything changes.
ReplyDeleteFarewell beautiful boy. May you rest well among all God's creatures among those in the nature that surrounds you and enjoy the freedom of running with all who came before. Sharing the sadness of those who loved you so while you were earthly bound for a time.
ReplyDeleteThat is awful and so very sad. We all send love and hugs your way. I hope someone hunts down and kills that owl.
ReplyDeleteOh what pain it is to read such a happening. Kozmo. Dearest Kozmo. Precious to the ends of the Earth. Loved to the ends as well. Never ever ever forgotten. Not ever.
ReplyDeleteDear Barb and family
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry to read about your handsome Tuxie Kozmo.
I send lots of healing hugs to you all
K ind Kitty
O h you will be so very much missed
Z any character with such a zest for life.
M ay you find all your friends and waiting OTRB
O h those white man cat whiskers
with love to all
Cecilia
This is such shocking and sad news. I am so sorry for the loss of sweet Kozmo. XO
ReplyDeleteNoooooooooooo! We are leaky eyed too. We're so sorry.
ReplyDeleteI'm so very sorry, Barb. Such horrible news. Tell Marvelous Marv I love him. Big healing hugs. ♥
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. Not knowing must be the hardest part. My sister-in-law had a cat who disappeared for weeks before returning. I believe the same thing happened to Sawyer from The Cat on My Head. I know the odds of him coming back are not high, but they are also not zero.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. It's very hard, especially like this. A cat in Ms. G's neighborhood was taken by an owl, and it was one which used to come up and ask me for pets (and grub for food though it was very well fed at home and tried to mooch at every feral feeding spot).
ReplyDeleteGive Marv, JoJo and Nutmeg an extra scritch or two from me, please. They may need it.
Charlee: "Oh no! We are very sorry to hear that Kozmo has been taken across the Rainbow Bridge!"
ReplyDeleteChaplin: "We send lots of purrs your way!"
Lulu: "And we dogs send lots of tail wags!"
first off, we are so sorry fur your loss, it breaks our hearts. but i could not help feeling that Kozmo was yelling it was time fur him to go off and be with his Katie so don't wait up, the spirits were calling. we do hope we are wrong. Sending lots and lots of warm soft purrs
ReplyDeleteKozmo, Mom and I can't quit thinking about you and while I, Katie, get to see you, and we are together this moment, my Mom and YOUR Mom have to wait till they too get to join us. They feel that weight, the knowledge, very heavy in their hearts and minds.
ReplyDeleteSuch sad news; hugs and purrs.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to read this. Terrible situation!Β΅
ReplyDeleteI send you hugs and love!π§‘
I'm so sorry to hear that Kozmo has crossed over The Bridge. I send warm hugs to all of you.
ReplyDeleteI sent you an email...sorry for the duplicates, not sure which email is your preferred one.
ReplyDeleteAww...so sorry to read about the tragedy of your beloved boy Kozmo, it made us very sad. We believe that they chosed their way to another world, and we also believe that sweet Angel Katie was waiting for himπ
ReplyDeleteSoft Pawkisses to comfort you and the kittiesπΎπ½π Fly free beautiful Soul✨
kozmo, we all purray with all we got, that purrhaps your safe and inside somewhere , with someone….yet, if it was time for you to leave this earth, rest well with everyone there in heaven. we all are truly sorry and send hugs and loves to you, and your family , especially mom Barb. π€π€π€π€π€π€π€π€π€π€
ReplyDeletedude, boomer, dai$y, tuna, sauce, mackerull and de gurl laura
Dear Barb, I am here to offer my condolences but also to say that you cannot give up hope yet. Sawyer was gone for 3 1/2 weeks … granted he wasn’t old but he did suffer from those nasty seizures. I know how difficult this time is, and that it feels as of someone has your heart in their fist and are squeezing it as hard as possible. Whatever 5the final outcome, I am sending, prayers, love and hugs and the Kitties Blue crew send oodles of purrs and POTP. If Kozmo has gone to be with his beloved Katie, you know he is happy. ππ⬛
ReplyDeleteHari OM
ReplyDeleteOh,,,, Barb,,, I am so mad at Blogger for being late in bringing this news to me... please accept these late but very very heartfelt condolences to you for Kozmo... YAM xx
This is heartbreaking. I'm so, so sorry. My neighbor's cat across the road went missing last week too. It's the not knowing that's so hard.
ReplyDeleteBarb we are so sad and sorry to read this. The kitties and I are sending up purrs and hopes and hugs, sympathy and hopes for comfort.
ReplyDeleteWe're very sorry to hear that Kozmo has likely earned his angel wings. Sending gentle thoughts of comfort your way.π
ReplyDeleteLots of healing energy hugs to you ~ losing Kozmo is hard and am sure you wished for a better ending but he gave you wonderful memories to hold on to ~ Hugs ^_^
ReplyDeleteCarol and Ziggy ~ https://anartistreflects.com
We are still in shock at this heartbreaking news. We don't know what We can say to comfort you. So instead, We send you hugs and soft purrs and kitty kisses. Deep in our hearts, We still hope and purray that Kozmo may yet return but if he does not, We will take comfort in the knowledge that he is dancing with his beloved Katie Isabella, safe in the Loving Paw of the Great Cat in the Sky.
ReplyDeleteI'm typing this with tears in my eyes. We're so very sorry to read this heartbreaking news about sweet Kozmo. We're sending you all so much love and so many purrs. XO
ReplyDeleteWe are so sad to hear this news. Having a cat vanish is the worst outcome imaginable. We are thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry Kozmo is gone over that bridge, and can hardly see through tears, what a horrid way to lose your baby.. hugs and love to all of you missing his purrs and that empty space staring at you
ReplyDeleteWe are so sad to hear this news about Kozmo. He will be missed by so many. We send you all comforting purrs and hugs.
ReplyDelete